Saturday, March 21, 2009

ENGAGED.

So today after school, Andrew and I went to a park and read books. Then we went to the mall to pick up Chick-fil-a and then we went to a pavilion and ate. Next thing I know, Andrew starts complaining that his stomach is sick: He needs to sit down or go on a walk or something. But he does not want to go back to the apartment. He wants to stay outside. So I suggest a few places, and in the interest of time told him we should go on a walk because, initially, that's what he wanted to do. And it was closer to our apartments.

So we go to the park behind the temple. Not Rock Canyon. The one with the gate. But Andrew said it was too crowded, so we left and went to Rock Canyon. And as we're walking along the grass, he keeps asking me how I want him to propose to me. I told him I did not care as long as it wasn't in the apartment or in the car. So he keeps asking, dropping lines like "Do you want me to propose to you in Salt Lake?" or "My teaching companion said I should do this..." and then we go in this little pathway between some dead trees and he just stops walking. 

So I turn around to look at him. He looked funny. And then he asks, "What about right here?" And me, believing him ten minutes before when he said he did not have my ring yet, said, "You don't have the ring yet." And before I knew it, BAM. He's pulled out a little brown box out of his backpack (that he insisted he bring along with him for our walk), drops down to one knee, and opens the box, all in one swift movement. Then I started jumping up and down and forgot to say "Yes" when he popped the question. And I laughed and could not stop jumping.

This is what was in the brown box:


Later, he told me of all his elaborate plans this week that just kept falling through. So, in the spur of the moment, he decided just to do it there. In the midst of dead trees.

We also spent a good time tonight singing Hellogoodbye Lyrics such as:

"You should know, it's true
The part about my love for you and how
My heart's about to burst into a million pieces"

And that's the story I will tell for the rest of my life when someone asks  how my husband proposed to me.