Monday, March 2, 2009

Edchacation

I need to be better about writing and photographing. They are my favorite things. Along with loving. And dresses. And church.

So today my women's history class talked about women's education. Apparently, my teacher and her colleagues often have female students come and tell them that they are afraid to succeed. They do not want to look too ambitious or overzealous. They do not want to seem too career-oriented. In other words, they do not want to scare off the men.

I do not understand this concept. I'm all about my double major, even though I don't know what I want to do as a day job while I try to establish myself as an author (which is, I know, a long shot. My mother reminds me as often as the "what are you going to do with your life?" question arises). I don't know if I will ever be published, but I know I am going to try. I want to do what I love doing. I don't understand why that is a problem for some girls. I don't know what every girl in the world should want to be, because every girl in the world is different. However, I believe every person should try to be their best. So why not through education? I'd rather be at school than be in a 9-5 I detest. I'd rather be in school than anything else though, which is ironic because I did not want to go to college for a long, long time. I just wanted to be free, away from any kind of structure. I don't feel that way towards school anymore. I love to learn. That being said, I often feel like school gets in the way of my education.